FoodWords Between Deadlines 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


FoodWords on hold!
I've suspended the regular email newsletter FoodWords while I search for a new list host. Until then, bookmark this site or add to your favorites, and visit often. I'll post a note when I have a relaunch date for the newsletter. Thanks!

 

Wednesday, June 1

 
Finally! A Shout Out for Farm Women!

And don't call them farm wives, either, although some might feel they are married to their farms.

The New York Times reg.req. today profiles some of the growing population of women who head farms. It's billed as being "across the United States," but of course most of those profiled run small specialty veg. or herb gardens, not 500-head dairy farms in Wisconsin or cattle ranches in California, but any recognition is useful. And the photos are not all of glamorous, stick-thin women bearing magazine-quality baskets of produce. (Yes, my bias is showing!)

I like this story most because I am the daughter of a farm woman and may become one myself someday. Hooray for hayseeds!





This page is powered by Blogger.